By Juliana N. Mbua and Agnes E. Fonkeng
The inhabitants of the neighbourhood of Campaign Street, Great Soppo, Buea have experienced a disastrous fire incident that has claimed property worth over ten million francs CFA. The incident that is suspected to have resulted from a lit candle started about 1.00 GMT on Wednesday, February 28, 2007. Report has it that, Ms Mary Wambe, a tenant of a seven apartment structure with fourteen rooms left a lit candle in her room and went to the roadside where she sells boiled eggs. It is assumed this candle cut up with the table-cloth and started the fire. The neighbourhood was in frenzy seeking for means to put out the fire. Sand, water and sticks were employed to batter the fire to submission. But this yielded little result as the building was swallowed to obscurity by the ravaging inferno.